Wrights Furniture was founded in 1889 by George W. Wright. At that time many residents of Dieterich were taking advantage of inexpensive land prices in Arkansas and George W. Wright was no exception. Although G. W. Wright was postmaster and owner of the general store, the temptation of developing a new part of the country was too strong and so he loaded his life's possessions on the train and prepared for his new life.
Evidently, G. W. was not the only proprietor bitten by the "Adventure Bug", because the owner of the local furniture store met with G. W. Wright in an attempt to persuade him to give up his place on the train and purchase the furniture store. George W. Wright was not eager to give up his place on the train. However, he stated he would if he could purchase not only the local furniture store, but also the local funeral parlor. Late into the night these businessmen still bartered. Finally, at approximately midnight on the eve of the trains departure, a deal was struck! G.W. Wright unloaded his train car and Wright's Furniture and Funeral Home were born. The furniture store was first located on the south main and then moved to its present location during the depression.